Saturday, March 5, 2011

'Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing'.

'Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing'. Have you ever reflected on this phrase before? What have you done when you have seen people being discriminated against? What more can you do the next time you witness discrimination taking place? I certainly hope you would reflect on this phrase, because anyone, including you, could face discrimination yourself, in your lives, somewhere, somehow. Perhaps you haven't faced such issues before yet, but you will certainly face situations whereby there is discrimination soon.

I have personally witnessed a sad event before, and it was happened rather recently. It just happened last year. If you had read my previous blog posts, you would know that I have had a classmate that was discriminated again last year, and you would come to realise that I have been learning about about prejudication and discrimination in my Language Arts lessons this year. Yes, I am mainly learning about racial discrimination now, but I certainly feel that such a form of discrimination would hardly occur now, for theres no longer any racial segregations, and theres hardly any racism going on right now.

I wouldn't emphasise on my past experiences now, but my point is that, watching discrimination and doing nothing is wrong. Perhaps you are indifferent to discrimination, perhaps you are afraid of not being with the crowd, or perhaps you support the discrimination of certain people; but it all lies down to one thing. Those being discriminated against are suffering, and you are merely watching. Have you ever though about how it feels like to be discriminated against? Have you ever been discriminated before? Think about it. Of course, my answer for both these questions are yes.

Well, if you are really indifferent to discrimination, or if you support it, I am pretty sure what I say here wouldn't affect you. If you are afraid of not being with the crowd, I don't know what to say. Personally, I feel that you shouldn't be afraid of that! I mean, this is kind of laughable. If say, there was a certain question in a certain test whereby everyone has gotten it wrong except for you, would you be afraid of that? No! Yes. This is how I feel now. Even so, I had previously attempted to help others when they are being discriminated against, but I stopped helping them soon later. I always backed out in the end thinking that I would be on the losing end later on, whereby I wouldn''t salvage the situation and I would have wasted my effort.

But, now, I am pretty sure that I would help others when they are being discriminated against throughout. I wouldn't want to make the same mistake as I had previously. I had forgotten all about my classmate last year soon later. I am sure I could have helped him in his studies and everything, but I didn't. All I did was to tell him not to feel sad and to revise for his next tests when he scored badly for his tests. Of course, doing this was enough, because this was better than discriminating him. I certainly hope YOU would kindly stop discriminating against others if you are doing so currently, and also that you would feel free to help those being discrimated against a little, even if it seems like it wouldn't make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Responding to your claim that '[racism] would hardly occur now, for theres no longer any racial segregations, and theres hardly any racism going on right now', I beg to differ. Racial discrimination is still very real in many parts of the world. We discriminate against minority groups by the labels we use on them, by the assumptions we make about them. Asians who work in Western countries will also be able to cite their own experiences with racism.

    ReplyDelete