Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A New KWL System for LA

Today is my second LA lesson in my Secondary 2 life. Today, my new LA teacher, Miss Huang, shown us a new system called KWL in which we are to ask ourselves Know: What do I already know about...? and Want: What do I want to know/learn about...? before the lesson and Learn: What have I learnt about...? after the lesson. This system is considered new to me although I have used it before many years ago when I was Primary 3.

In my opinion, I feel that this system has its pros and cons. Its advantages are that it can help students organize what they have learnt easily and increases the efficiency of learning. However, there are its disadvantages too. I personally find it difficult to think about what I want to learn. For example, today we learnt about the word "Prejudice" and were told to make a mindmap to generalize its meanings. But as I did not know much about the word, except for that its meaning is something like "biased", and then there was probably nothing that I could think about that I wanted to learn except for "meaning of the word".

Know: I had knew that the word "Prejudice" means like "biased" or "one-sided".
Want: I want to learn the exact meaning of the word "Prejudice".
Learn: I have learnt that the word "Prejudice" means something like the assumptions people have of others without knowing what they are really like and despise them, bully them, etc. For example, the black people in America.

Below is the mindmap i have done with my group and also some generalisations.


Generalisations
1. Prejudice means to pre-judge someone, or to judge a person before you actually
meet or know the person.
2. Prejudice is caused by discrimination to a certain people different from you.
3. Prejudice can lead to varying results from minor offeances from ignoring, to mass
murder.
4. Rumours can cause stereotypes which will in turn cause prejudice.
5. Prejudice will lead to more prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment